Sunday, July 16, 2006

The Joys of Short Story Fodder

I really need to allow myself to sink back into the realm of writing short stories. I haven't really written any more since Aliens and Satanic Creatures Wanted: Humans Need Not Apply was published.

The joys about short story writing are many: they are much shorter in length so they are finished a lot quicker, they are easily launched from the mind--at least mine are anyway, and are quick to be formulated, and lastly...they are so much fun.

I have a habit, yes one of many,in that I tend to write them pointedly in that there is some underlying social comment in them. If you haven't seen that underlying tone, take a look at:

Invasion or Subversion
Lucky Lucifers Car Emporium
Reap What You Sow
the list goes on and on but these three are good starting points...

If you would be so kind...let me know what you think it is. And if you're correct...there might even be a prize for you.

But the real joy in short stories is the kick off point. By this I am referring to the actual moment when the thought behind the story kicks into high gear. It never ceases to amaze me how small the actual triggering event may be yet how quickly the story forms around this single point. Lately there have been quite a few and this probably has me thinking about this topic so much.

Maybe its time to go back to the short story...and have some fun (insert evil grin here).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home