Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Multitasking and Missing Out

This is not about any one person, a group of people, or organization--but rather a social commentary of sorts...

I know in this day and age that we have to do things at the same time and all--busy-busy--busy. With the electronic wonders of the day, it becomes even easier to accomplish several things at once and I imagine that younger folks are probably better at this to some extent having grown up during the electronic revolution and it is part of their world moreso than the older folks. Yet, I do it as well, for instance as I sit here and type this I am burning CD's as well. But my point--yes there is one--it seems like there always is one lately--is that I am not interacting with some one at the same time.

Maybe I am just showing my age. But sharing actual moments with people whether its casually or of a more important nature, we owe it to each other to show attention to one another. I have this thing about attention. When two people are interacting, this surpasses anything else that is happening in the background. For instance, suppose you are walking down the street and meet someone you know and you start talking, do you partake in the conversation while you trim your nails, pick your nose, think about what you did last night, go through your calendar of events for the week...I hope not. If you do, you need to develop some personality skills.

So why is it so different when we are on line? Why do we hold multiple conversations at the same time while surfing the web looking for something that probably can wait to be looked for?

I feel slighted. Yes...slighted when this occurs.
If I am conversing with someone, I like to think that I am important enough to garner their attention--all of it. Is that so difficult to understand? Maybe it is...

The signs of impending doom: the long pauses in between the IM's or worse...over the telephone you hear the keyboard clicking away in the background. I have even had it happen when the person got the little conversation boxes mixed up--boy that did make me feel good when I suddenly had a different name and the conversation was about something I didn't really need to hear...nor wanted to. I can go on and on with this but what really is the point.

Some will say that I am being difficult or overthinking this kind of stuff. And maybe I am. But as people we all need to feel wanted--that we are important to others whether its work--pleasure--whatever.

Electrons and all that stuff is great. I love it. But when it replaces or changes our perception of what "real" is, then I am concerned. When I am no longer a real person, but just a name on the email list or instant messenger roster, I feel degraded. When I talk with people, I give them my attention...I put aside what can wait for a few moments and experience the voice or for that matter the electrons. I get a cup of coffee or smoke a cigarette as I imagine the real person on the other end. They deserve my attention and I want theirs in return--is that really so much to ask?

In the future...maybe we will be able to create a pseudo electronic person that memorizes your keystrokes so it can talk to people for you--that way you won't have to have that nasty personal interaction. Heck, maybe hand holding or touching will be translated into a series of bleeps--acronys--or maybe even a mouse that sends pulses or something to your hand to simulate the actual thing.

Fortunately IM's can't be sent to the grave...not yet anyway.

2 Comments:

At 10:33 PM, Blogger Tony said...

pretty much...but on the flip side, i know everyone does not preceive this the same way. Maybe its a person to person thing...who knows.

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Emrya said...

Well I don't know what you guys are complaining about.. just keep an open mi



mind. sorry I had a phone call :p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home