Friday, June 30, 2006

Electrons and Words Don't Mix

I love my gadgets--there is no doubt. I have my robots that vacuum and wash the floor. I have several computers and I can't imagine being away from them for very long. I have a cell phone and a bunch of other toys. I do love my toys, but these are things that I don't really have to communicate to...like people. When it comes to that, I like nothing better than face to face or on a phone. Why is that--because words and electrons don't mix well.

Electrons, whether via text msg, chat, IM...whatever, don't have the tone or emotion behind them. I have often shied away from electronic conversations because of this; it is so easy to misinterpret meaning or content behind the words because you can't hear or see the expression behind them. Or worse yet, interpreting the words in a completely different way then intended=disaster. I will mull over, or "overthink" as some of you like to call it, the possible meanings that the electronic words can mean. I guess I am one of those sensitive kind of people in that regard. Now you can say, well wasn't it the same with letters (for those of us that actually remember writing letters), and yes, I guess it was and all we have done is just speeded up that process with the electrons.

Now I have been told that perhaps I am just getting old and I don't understand the "new" wave of communication," and that might be so...but you know what, if that's the case, I think I will stick with my philosophy of actual verbal communication on the things that matter--so just bury me with my Roomba robot--no words--just tunes. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home