Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Alternate Ending 2

There always seems to be more than just one ending to a story and in The Importance of Undergarments at a Science Fiction Convention, is no exception. So for a blog or two, I will explore some other endings that I toyed with.


Alternate Ending 2
(Original Story Lead In):

"So what about the bra?" I asked? "It is physical evidence that proves her existence?"

"It is much more probable," the shrink began, "that you went out and bought it subconsciously as part of your fantasy and somehow managed to block it from your mind. It's the only reasonable and plausible answer."

This seemed to be a sticking point so I thought it best to just agree with him and move along. Once I did, I was deemed fit to return to my meager existence of life as I knew it. I agreed readily with the shrink because he could not touch those dreams that were locked up in my head. Those were mine and I kept and cherished them.


I still go to conventions and I haven't changed my routine very much while there. I go to panels, talk with friends, and just hang out. I sit in the bar and have a drink. But there is one thing I do differently since all of this happened. But before I get to that I need to warn you that it might sound a little bizarre, but if you had experienced what I had, then perhaps you would feel somewhat differently about it. So let me go through this before you decide anything.

When I am at a convention, I carry my small carry bag with me. Inside of the bag wrapped up in tissue paper I carry the bra. When its late and most of the people have gone to bed and things are quiet, I take the bra out of the bag and place it on my head and snap the clasps under my chin so that the the cups face upward toward the ceiling. I figure Trista had to have left it for a reason other than just a sovenier, perhaps it is some kind of lightning rod that points upwards...perhaps even toward the fourth floor. That fabulous place that I can see only when I sleep and it comes to my dreams. It truly is a fantastical place where only the most wondrous things happen or have happened--not sure which really applies but I guess it doesn't really matter.

As I was saying, the cups point upward. I figure maybe...just maybe if all of this is true, then perhaps there is some way that Trista can tell I'm here and waiting for her to come back. Perhaps it even acts as some form of fairy GPS system or something. After all, with all the conventions that go on all around the world, even fairies are bound to get lost sometimes. It makes sense to me, heck, I get lost going around the block sometimes so its only fair to assume that fairies might have the same kind of challenges at times.

So if you are one of those folks that can't sleep and you wander down to the bar in the wee hours at a convention and you see someone in the bar sitting there quietly having a drink and wearing a bra on the top of their head, don't be so fast to judge. But rather if you have the time to stop and sit and have a drink, I will tell you the story of The Importance of Undergarments at a Science Fiction Convention. Getting the story in person is always better than in writing. You get to hear all those subtle nuances in the voice rather than supplying your own in your mind. And for those who do stop by and chat for a bit, maybe I can put in a a good word for you the next time I see Trista and maybe she can pull some strings for you and get you a con-fairy expierenence as well.

Now, I can imagine what you're thinking. Guys will read this story and think that if they come to the bar and place a bra on their head, they too can attempt to have their own con-fairy expierience. Then before you know it there will be a bunch of men sitting in the bar with bras on their heads and then the women will join in with their own assortment of men's undergarments such as briefs, boxers, and perhaps even the dreaded banana hammocks or something and it will look like the most ridiculous thing anyone has ever seen and there goes the whole con expierience thing. But if you think about it, it is a science fiction convention and you know what--probably no one will notice. And if any of the mundanes do notice we will just tell them that there is a Victoria Secrets or Fredericks or GQ or whatever gathering is going on and they will nodd in agreement and with complete understanding accompanied by a very sly grin on their faces from both men and women alike. And if they don't well that's okay too.

So after of all this you might ask yourself at some point if any of this makes any sense. Some will say no and others will just silently nodd their heads in agreement. As for me, I am off in my own little world and for all I know I may be the only person that has made it to the fourth floor...after all I have the bra to prove it. Oh and one other thing, did I mention the label inside the bra? The one that reads: "100% cotton mixed with magic fairy dust for enhanced lift." I guess I forgot to mention that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home